In Massachusetts, a growing controversy surrounding Elizabeth Warren as the Harvard Professor gives conflicting statements over the last 72 hours over whether or not she used her self-described Native American heritage to advance her legal career. After telling the media on Friday that she did not “recall” ever having cited her “minority” background – while simultaneously being unable to offer any proof of such heritage – new information emerged over the weekend calling that statement into very serious doubt….Politico’s Maggie Haberman writes last night, This weekend, the blog the Volokh Conspiracy has posted on finding Warren listed in the Association of American Law Schools directory of law teachers under the “minority” index for three years she was at the University of Pennsylvania in the 1990s, just prior to going to Harvard. The AALS directory for the 1986-87 book explains that professors were listed as minorities if they were “educators who stated they were members of a minority group.”
- The Boston Globe has this lead this morning…..US Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren – who said Friday she didn’t realize Harvard Law School had been promoting her as a Native American faculty member in the 1990s – was listed as a minority professor in American law school directories for nine years before she landed at Harvard, documents show. The Association of American Law Schools desk book, a directory of law professors from participating schools, includes Warren among the minority law professors listed, beginning in 1986 and continuing through 1995. The years include time she spent teaching at the University of Texas and the University of Pennsylvania, before she joined the faculty at Harvard Law. The listings were based on professors reporting that they were members of a minority group, the directory says.
- Meanwhile the Boston Herald has this headline – Scott Brown calls on Warren camp to ‘come clean’ — Despite claiming she never used her Native American heritage when applying for a job, Elizabeth Warren’s campaign admitted last night the Democrat listed her minority status in professional directories for years when she taught at the University of Texas and the University of Pennsylvania.
- Politico’s James Hohmann astutely notes in Morning Score – FACT OF LIFE: This could hurt Warren with the white working class in South Boston, especially if new information comes out to suggest that she used her heritage to get a leg up.
- From National Review – “Dances With Hogwash” – and from the American Thinker – “Elizabeth Warren, poster girl for liberal hypocrisy”
- Finally, Boston Herald Howie Carr writes, The fact is, you can’t get much lower than being accused of being a fake Indian. It puts you in the same category as that pony-tailed fraud from the University of Colorado, Ward Churchill. You remember, the fake Indian who said all the people murdered in the World Trade Center on 9/11 were “little Eichmanns.” Now she claims she doesn’t “recall” if she played the race card when she applied for her big-wampum $350,000-a-year job at Harvard Law. You see, it was so many moons — I mean years, ago. Sounds like a lot of bull — Sitting Bull.