SCOTUS Decision Leaves Businesses on the Hook for Higher Costs, Fewer Jobs
(Las Vegas, NV) – After seven-term Congresswoman Shelley Berkley sat silent on the very Committee responsible for crafting ObamaCare, and then voted for it because Nancy Pelosi told her to, Nevadans are forced to prepare for the impending job loss.
“The business community has made it very clear that ObamaCare’s taxes and regulations are forcing them to either hire fewer people or stop hiring altogether. Considering Nevada leads the nation in unemployment, you would think seven-term Congresswoman Shelley Berkley would be doing everything she can to stop this bill. But instead, she’s followed President Obama and Nancy Pelosi every step of the way, repeatedly voting to keep the job-crushing law in place,” said Chandler Smith, Heller for Senate spokeswoman.
Business organizations and associations lamented the Supreme Court’s decision:
- ObamaCare may “stop franchises from opening new stores, creating new jobs,” and is “unworkable and unaffordable” for small businesses. (Catherine Monson, “Why the Health-Care Ruling May Stop Franchises from Opening New Stores, Creating New Jobs,” The Washington Post, 6/29/2012
- The Chamber of Commerce denounced the President’s health care legislation, saying it will “undermine job creation.” (“U.S. Chamber Will Continue Efforts to Improve the Health Care System,” U.S. Chamber Of Commerce, 6/28/2012)
- The National Federation of Independent Businesses said the taxes and mandates included in the law will “result in job loss and closed businesses.” (“Supreme Court Ruling Limits Freedom, Strengthens Government,” National Federation Of Independent Business, 6/28/2012)
- The National Association of Manufacturers reacted to the Supreme Court decision saying that the “escalating health costs are job killers.” (“Affordable Care Act Ruling Isn’t the End of Efforts to Lower Health Care Costs,” National Association Of Manufacturers, 6/28/2012)
- The International Franchise Association said the law will put 3.2 million franchise-related jobs at risk. (“High Court Ruling Puts Jobs at Franchise Businesses at Risk,” International Franchise Association, 6/28/2012)
- And the National Retail Federation said the law will have “will have a dramatic negative impact.” (“Retailers Dismayed by Supreme Court Decision,” National Retail Federation, 6/28/2012)
In honor of Wednesday’s July 4th holiday marking the anniversary of our nation’s independence, Concerned Veterans for America has prepared the following web video that celebrates freedom and asks the question what does freedom mean to you?
Veterans understand that they must bring that knowledge and that perspective to bear in a much wider fight, one that will require a commitment, focus, and sustained effort unlike any seen previously. They must carry with on the same mission they accepted while in uniform — defending freedom.
This video should be reminder to all of us that Independence Day is much more than fireworks, cookouts and a day off from work. It’s a commemoration of the things that make our nation great, and the values we hold in common.
From The Telegraph (UK)
Move over, Jamie Dimon and JP Morgan.
A new banking scandal has exploded across the water. The fallout continues from the revelations that British mega-bank Barclays PLC manipulated the setting of Libor (London Interbank Borrowing Rate), one of the key reference interest rates in the world of finance.
The scandal has triggered the resignation of Barclays CEO Bob Diamond, under fire for his buccaneering leadership of the famous British institution. More resignations are likely.
The scandal has political implications as well, because the manipulation of interest rates is a standard operating procedure of government policy makers worldwide, and observers are keen to explore the acquiescence of Britain’s last Labour government in the affair.
AUSTIN, TX — Democratic operative and self-proclaimed “hacker” Neal Rauhauser has accused Brandon Darby of “SWATting.” Darby is a political activist and former FBI operative.
Darby has the full support of the National Bloggers Club, an organization that represents hundreds of bloggers and online journalists. The Club will raise funds (using KimberlinFiles.org) and encourage Darby to use all legal remedies in this clear case of defamation and explore pursuing criminal conspiracy options.
“Convicted domestic terrorist turned left-wing ideologue activist Brett Kimberlin runs two liberal non-profit organizations. His contracted employee, Neal Rauhauser, has accused one of our members of being the perpetrator of these illegal, coordinated attacks. We are standing with our members, many of whom — myself included — have been targeted by supporters of Brett Kimberlin,” said National Bloggers Club President Ali A. Akbar.
Akbar continued, “Darby is being defamed by this dangerous, bizarre fringe activist because he has dared to speak the name “Brett Kimberlin,” is a member of the National Bloggers Club, and associated with Andrew. Andrew associated himself with the Bloggers Club, I’ll associate the Club with Darby any day of the week.”
SWATting is the term used to describe the illegal use of technology to place an untraceable emergency call to falsely report a serious, violent crime. The caller typically gives the emergency dispatcher the address and personal information belonging to the victim, claiming that people in the house have been shot and that the caller is armed inside the home. By protocol, law enforcement then sends armed officers to the scene. Last week, after winning a courtroom victory in Maryland against Kimberlin, blogger Aaron Walker was targeted by a SWATting call that sent police to his Virginia home.
“Thank God no one has been killed as a result of SWATting — yet. I strongly believe the continued use of these tactics will result in a horrible tragedy — which is exactly what the perpetrators want,” said Akbar.
As we as a nation prepare to celebrate Independence Day I want to highlight the outstanding work that has been done by Senator Dean Heller of Nevada on behalf of veterans.
Amongst the online prudentry and right-of-center chattering class there are many keywords used to describe Dean Heller, some don’t think he’s conservative enough and call him a RiNO, some liberals in Nevada think he’s an extreme right-winger… whatever your particular view, there’s one glaring fact that no one can deny, Dean Heller is a Patriot and unwavering friend to Veterans!
Bill Designates Funds to Assist Female Homeless Veterans
(Washington, D.C.) – Today U.S. Senator Dean Heller (R-NV) announced introduction of the Women’s Homeless Veterans Act (S. 3308). This bill would require at least 15 percent of funds provided to the Department of Veterans Affairs Grant and Per Diem Program to be allocated to homeless veterans with special needs, which provides assistance to homeless female veterans and children. It also reimburses shelters and facilities that provide services to children of homeless veterans.
“This economy has left far too many Americans without work, and in too many instances, homeless. A number of veterans have not only fallen on tough times financially, but some who have had difficulties adjusting to civilian life. As the demographics of our Armed Forces have changed throughout the years, so too have the needs of homeless veterans. Many homeless shelters were not designed to serve the needs of female veterans or homeless veterans with children. I am proud to introduce this legislation to provide much-needed assistance to homeless female veterans and their families,” said Senator Dean Heller.
According to the 2010 Veterans Supplement to the Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR), homeless women veterans represented eight percent of the total homeless veterans population. The amount of funding authorized by Congress to the Department of Veterans Affairs Grant and Per Diem program used to provide services for women and children does not adequately reflect the growing number of women homeless veterans. In addition, services provided by shelters to children of homeless veterans are not currently reimbursed under this program.
The Women’s Homeless Veterans Act:
- Requires that at least 15 percent of the funds provided to the Department of Veterans Affairs Grant and Per Diem program are allocated to homeless veterans with special needs, which provides assistance to homeless female veterans and children.
- Grants the Department of Veterans Affairs authority to reimburse shelters and facilities participating in the Grant and Per Diem Program for services provided to the children of homeless veterans.
(Washington, D.C.) – Today U.S. Senator Dean Heller (R-NV) issued the following statement regarding the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans endorsement of the Women’s Homeless Veterans Act (S. 3308). This bill, introduced by Senator Heller, would require at least 15 percent of funds provided to the Department of Veterans Affairs Grant and Per Diem Program to be allocated to homeless veterans with special needs, which provides assistance to homeless female veterans and children. It also reimburses shelters and facilities that provide services to children of homeless veterans.
“I am pleased that the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans has endorsed the Women’s Homeless Veterans Act. As the demographics of our Armed Forces have changed throughout the years, so too have the needs of homeless veterans. Many homeless shelters were not designed to serve the needs of female veterans or homeless veterans with children. This legislation will provide much-needed assistance to homeless female veterans and their families. I will continue advocating for our nation’s heroes, and I am grateful for this endorsement,” said Senator Dean Heller.
A PDF copy of the letter is below.
Dean Thanks Veterans At The Las Vegas “Salute Our Troops” Event
Heller works with Democrats and Republicans to help veterans find employment:
- Original Cosponsor of the VOW to Hire Heroes Act, bipartisan legislation aimed at hiring Veterans. The VOW provides a tax credit of up to $9,600 to employers who hire unemployed veterans. The legislation also provides funding for programs that provide on-the-job training and employment assistance to veterans. The act was signed into law on November 21, 2011.
· Member of the Senate Veterans Jobs Caucus, a bipartisan coalition designed to help veterans find employment.
Heller was the lead Republican on the American Legion Charter Modernization Act (S.1639), which President Obama signed into law on December 13, 2011.
· The bill, which was also sponsored by Jon Tester (D-MT), allows the organization to accept debit and credit card payments online. The change makes it easier for newer generations of veterans to become members and pay dues.
Heller helps ensure access to health care, including:
- Introduced legislation in the 110th, 111th, 112th sessions of Congress to provide a $400 tax deduction for veterans who have to travel for medical reason.
- Cosponsored H.R. 575, the HEALTHY Vets act of 2011, which allows the Department of Veterans Affairs to contract with local doctors if a VA facility is geographically inaccessible.
· Voted for HR 1211 Women Veterans Health Care Improvement Act (Sandlin) which requires the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to study barriers encountered by women veterans in accessing VA health care and requires the results be reported to Congress.
Since elected to Congress, Heller has supported the full funding of the Veterans Affairs Agency.
· In fact, Dean Heller wrote to leaders in both chambers of Congress calling on them to pass the 2012 VA bill and negotiate every other spending item separately. Veterans should not be held hostage by Congress because of partisan politics.
· Supported votes to provide an increase for VA funding since elected to Congress.
Heller also cosponsored legislation that pays for Armed Forces and Reserves in the event of a funding gap.
· Cosponsored S.724: Ensuring Pay for Our Military Act of 2011 (Sen. Hutchinson) which pays for Armed Forces and Reserves in the event of a federal funding gap.
Dean Heller supports legislation to improve veterans’ access to education.
· Cosponsored H.R.5684, Veterans Education Improvement Act of 2008 which makes critical improvements to the Montgomery GI Bill educational assistance program.
Supports lower taxes for disabled Americans
· Cosponsored H.R.333 Disabled Veterans Tax Termination Act (Rep Bishop).
Conservative enough, not conservative enough, say what you will. We all know what the alternative is… Shelley Berkley dances on the strings of President Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Harry Reid. An avid supporter of TARP, the ObamaCare TAX, Frank Dodd, and the $787 billion stimulus, Shelley Berkley opposes a Balanced Budget Amendment and much, much more. Nevada, and by extension the country, simply can’t afford six years of Shelley Berkley’s liberal tax-and-spend agenda!
Even card-carrying liberal George Stephanopoulos was incredulous on ABC’s “This Week” back in 2009 when he heard President Obama deny ObamaCare’s mandate constituted a tax. “It’s still a tax increase,” Stephanopoulos insisted, to which Obama countered: “No, no, that’s not true, George. For us to say that you’ve got to take responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase.”
Then Obama doubled down for emphasis and effect:
STEPHANOPOULOS: But you reject that it’s a tax increase?
OBAMA: I absolutely reject that notion.
This denial is central to what the Supreme Court did in upholding ObamaCare and why the Congress must act immediately to repeal every last word of it. Both the president and Democratic-controlled Congress shoved this 2,000-plus page monstrosity down the public’s throat by insisting it wasn’t a tax. But in court the Obama administration argued it was indeed, exactly what they told America it wasn’t — and the Court upheld it.
This has to be the greatest sleight-of-hand in history. If the public had known from the beginning ObamaCare was just one enormous tax increase (actually, some two dozen different tax increases); if Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and their foot soldiers hadn’t willfully lied, time and again to the American people, this never would have passed Congress in the first place.
No one can deny this.
Justice Roberts upheld a deception. There’s no nice way to sugarcoat it.
The Supreme Court had a sacred duty to the Constitution to reject this blatant federal power grab, passed in the halls of Congress with the largest bait-and-switch ever perpetrated upon the American people. Four justices, including the so-called “swing” vote clearly saw it this way. For the majority to codify this deception is a disgrace.
The American people — the real victims in this atrocity — have only one recourse remaining: Congress. Now only Congress can repeal it.
The problem, of course, is Congress.
We are perhaps only moments away from the precipice, and we could avoid calamity, but only if we are prepared to slam on the brakes of government overreach.
From Sunshine State News:
This week, supporters of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney have been bashing President Barack Obama for broken promises. U.S. Rep. Connie Mack, the overwhelming favorite to win the Republican nomination to challenge Democrat incumbent U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson, went to bat for Romney on Tuesday, hammering Obama on the economy and the national debt.
“America might be in deeper trouble than we thought: a new report says our nation’s average weekly wages dropped in 2011 for only the fifth time in thirty-three years,” Mack said in a statement. “Unfortunately, this does not come as much of a surprise, seeing as how the average duration of unemployment has doubled since President Obama took office. It’s now a staggering 39.7 weeks.
“Instead of making strides to repair our broken economy, however, we have a president who believes ‘the private sector is doing fine.’ At times, the president seems as if he is in denial,” continued Mack.
Mack pointed to a quote from Obama in which the president said, “What we have been able to do over the last 3-1/2 years, after a decade in which we had been moving in the wrong direction, is to begin to point towards a trajectory where here in this country, everybody is getting a fair shot.”
In Ohio, Politico reports that Josh Mandel has reserved $4 million in television time just for the month of October. Ohio Senate candidate Josh Mandel has reserved over $4 million in airtime for the last month of the 2012 campaign, multiple strategists tell me. … A GOP strategist involved in the race said the buying — about $4.2 million so far — is proof that Mandel will “have the resources to go toe-to-toe down the homestretch with not just an incumbent but one of the most well-funded members of the U.S. Senate.”
- Meanwhile, WNWO-TV in Toledo reports that thanks to Treasurer Mandel’s Renew Ohio & Rebuild Ohio Programs, storm victims will be eligible for reduced interest rates in the Buckeye State. Residents across Ohio impacted by damaging winds and severe weather during storms the weekend of June 30 could be eligible for emergency assistance in the form of reduced interest rates on loans under Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel’s Renew Ohio & Rebuild Ohio Programs. Small businesses and homeowners who apply for bank loans for construction, restoration or cash flow for damage and hardship resulting from the recent severe weather may be eligible to receive interest rate reductions through the treasurer’s office.
- Finally, WKBN-TV in Youngstown reports that Treasurer Josh Mandel continues to keep the heat on liberal Democrat Sherrod Brown for supporting ObamaCare. The man who wants to replace Democrat Sherrod Brown in the U.S. Senate brought his campaign to Boardman on Monday afternoon. Republican Ohio State Treasurer Josh Mandel took a tour of N.E.O. Urology Associates as he continued to blast Obamacare. Mandel maintains that the national health care plan is a government takeover of health care and that it will kill job creation. Mandel is in favor of a complete and full repeal of the Affordable Care Act and said he thinks it needs to be replaced with something better.
If you think the controversy surrounding Elizabeth Warren’s false Native American claims was over, think again. Fox25 Boston reported last night on yet another document to emerge which calls Warren’s claims to the Massachusetts’ media into question. At an event in Boston yesterday, Scott Brown reiterated his call for Warren to finally come clean and simply release her personnel records. Warren again refused to do so.
- Meanwhile, the New Bedford Standard Times reports that Scott Brown made a sweep through SouthCoast Monday, touring a New Bedford factory and picking up yet another Democratic endorsement. Paul Walsh made his endorsement of Brown at the Shawmut Diner, owned by city GOP Chairman and WBSM radio talk-show host Phil Paleologos….“As we prepare to celebrate our nation’s independence this week, it’s a reminder that we need more independent thinking in Washington right now,” said Walsh, who was district attorney from 1991 to 2007.