The Catholic Association releases video featuring Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) regarding the impact of President Obama’s Health and Human Services Mandate on the First Amendment and religious freedom.
Maureen Ferguson, Senior Policy Adviser, The Catholic Association
“Abortion on demand is on parade tonight at the Democratic National Convention. By featuring a series of speakers who favor abortion through all nine months of pregnancy at taxpayer expense, as well as mandated insurance coverage of free abortion-inducing drugs, Democrats risk further alienating Catholics and other pro-religious freedom, pro-life constituencies.
“Today we also learned that the Democratic Party has taken God out of its 2012 platform, further demonstrating the hostility President Obama and the Democratic Party establishment have toward religion and people of faith.
“President Obama has opposed even minor limits on abortion, such as a ban on sex-selective abortion, a ban on late term abortions past the point at which the unborn child is capable of feeling pain, and has even opposed legislation to protect a baby accidentally born alive after a failed abortion. By showcasing HHS Secretary Sebelius, NARAL’s Nancy Keenan, and the president of the largest abortion provider in America, Planned Parenthood, President Obama has positioned his Administration as the most extreme pro-abortion, anti-religious freedom in our nation’s history.
“As our recent poll of Catholics by QEV Analytics demonstrated, the President is pouring gasoline on a fire he should be looking to extinguish.”
Maureen Ferguson is Senior Policy Advisor for The Catholic Association.
MRC – ALEXANDRIA, VA – For decades the liberal media have enjoyed poking fun at conservative politicians for their public gaffes, real or imagined. Dan Quayle, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry, Sarah Palin — these are just a few of the many conservatives parodied by the press. Vice-President Joe Biden is set to address the Democratic National Convention Wednesday evening. There will be many interviews conducted with him during this time. So in the interest of fair play — the news media are fair, aren’t they? — the Media Research Center has compiled a list of ten questions the media should pose to Joe Biden.
Questions we wish the liberal media would ask Biden
1. Last month, you made a racist comment to blacks that Republicans are going to “put y’all back in chains.” Charlie Rangel said that your comment was “stupid.” What does it feel like to be called “stupid” by Charlie Rangel?
2. In 2008, you turned to wheelchair-bound Missouri state Sen. Chuck Graham, and told him to “stand up, Chuck, let’em see ya.” Had you ever said anything as asinine as that before?
3. In October of 2008, you said: “The number-one job facing the middle class… is a three-letter word: Jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs.” Is it a challenge for you to count past 3?
4. In 2010 you turned to President Obama after Obamacare passed and on live national television said, “This is a big f-ing deal.” Had you ever seen a big f-ing microphone before?
5. If the President had taken your advice to not go after Bin Laden, Bin Laden may still be alive today. What other bizarro foreign policy advice have you given that, thank God, no one took?
6. In 2010 you mistakenly told Irish Prime Minister Brian Cowen that his mother had passed. When you were young, did you ever prank neighbors with dead mom jokes?
7. In June 2006, you said “You can’t go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin’ Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent.” Did you ever try this theory in person? In your judgment, do you think folks could learn how to model their Indian accents after Abu on the Simpson’s?
8. Then in January of 2007, you said “You got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.” Since he was the first, what advice would you give to other inarticulate, dumb, dirty and ugly African Americans such as Clarence Thomas and Oprah Winfrey to help them clean up their act.
9. In October of 2011, when you said that if Republicans didn’t pass your jobs bill, “Murder will continue to rise, rape will continue to rise, all crimes will continue to rise.” Was that fear mongering or just simply idiotic?
10. In 2008, you said: “Hillary Clinton is as qualified or more qualified than I am to be vice president of theUnited States of America.” Did you ever imagine you could be so right?
For more visit MRC
More than $50,900 for every man, woman and child
Arlington, Va. - The national debt today surpassed an unprecedented $16 trillion, amounting to more than $50,900 of debt for every man, woman and child in the United States. Since 2009, the debt has increased 50 percent, and the U.S. Senate hasn’t passed a budget in more than three years. For the first time in history America’s creditworthiness has been downgraded, yet time and again, Washington has refused to make the rational decisions necessary to get our fiscal house in order. Public Notice Executive Director Gretchen Hamel released the following statement:
“Today’s sad milestone of a $16 trillion national debt will probably not garner much attention in Washington or the media since we are in the midst of political party conventions. Americans are worried though. The debt and government spending are top concerns for Americans, according to our recent poll, with large majorities seeing the connection between the debt and the health of both the economy and their personal financial well-being. Bankrupting America will continue to hold Washington accountable for its reckless spending as long as Washington refuses to address the problem.”
Washington D.C. – House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (CA-22) released the following statement regarding the national debt reaching $16 trillion as a direct result of President Obama’s failed economic policies:
“Today, America has reached a historic milestone which no American will celebrate – the national debt has surpassed $16 trillion. Americans are reminded today of President Obama’s pledge in 2009 to cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term. The grim reality is that the President has delivered a budget deficit over $1 trillion every year since taking office, which has led to $5.4 trillion in new debt being added to our national debt in less than four years. A national debt above $16 trillion, coupled with 42 consecutive months of unemployment above 8 percent, are emblematic of the failure of the President’s economic policies.
“Americans are tired of broken promises and empty rhetoric, and they can no longer afford to languish in the malaise of the Obama economy. Unlike the President, House Republicans have put forth a serious budget that reduces our debt over time and focuses on pro-growth economic policies that will get Americans back to work. We have a responsibility to our children and grandchildren to leave them a country better than the one we inherited – it’s time the President joins us in this endeavor.”
Pro-Life activist Lila Rose, president of the organization Live Action, sent a memo to Pro-Life activists over the weekend regarding the Dem convention and what she calls the “abortion-palooza.” Live Action has over 400,000 fans on Facebook, and its undercover sting operations against Planned Parenthood have been effective.
Here are some highlights from Memo (Full Memo below):
“The contemporary Democratic Party has positioned itself as extremists on abortion – anywhere, for any reason – paid for by taxpayers. President Obama is in the pocket of Big Abortion and his record shows he is the most pro-abortion president in American history.”
“The Democratic establishment’s abortion- palooza features speeches by a Who’s Who of Big Abortion – including representatives of abortion profiteers and advocates Planned Parenthood and NARAL.”
“Additionally, the convention will feature politicians and Hollywood stars hostile to the prolife cause and religious freedom. Not to be featured: Prolife Democrats. Pro-life Democrats are being ostracized and if in attendance are to maybe be seen, but not heard. The message is clear, if you are a pro-life Democrat you are not welcome at this Democrat establishment abortion-palooza. Yes, the Party that spins diversity is telling pro-lifers that they have no business showing up in Charlotte.”
“This presents a unique opportunity for the pro-life, religious freedom community to come forward and educate the public about how extreme and obsessed the President and the Democratic Party establishment are when it comes to abortion. They are so obsessed on funding abortion, the President and Democratic leaders in Washington are even willing to undercut the founding principle of religious freedom to fund abortion.”
Meanwhile, David Brody of CBN News broke the story that God has been dropped from the Democratic Party platform.
Guess what? God’s name has been removed from the Democratic National Committee platform.
This is the paragraph that was in the 2008 platform:
“We need a government that stands up for the hopes, values, and interests of working people, and gives everyone willing to work hard the chance to make the most of their God-given potential.”
Now the words “God-given” have been removed. The paragraph has been restructured to say this:
“We gather to reclaim the basic bargain that built the largest middle class and the most prosperous nation on Earth – the simple principle that in America, hard work should pay off, responsibility should be rewarded, and each one of us should be able to go as far as our talent and drive take us.”
The Brody File has calls into DNC to explain why God’s name has been dropped from the platform. Some critics will suggest that when you have planks in your platform that support abortion rights and gay marriage then it’s no wonder that God’s name would be dropped as well.
Delegates will vote on the platform on Tuesday.
There is one section on “faith” and here is what it says:
“Faith has always been a central part of the American story, and it has been a driving force of progress and justice throughout our history. We know that our nation, our communities, and our lives are made vastly stronger and richer by faith and the countless acts of justice and mercy it inspires. Faith- based organizations will always be critical allies in meeting the challenges that face our nation and our world – from domestic and global poverty, to climate change and human trafficking. People of faith and religious organizations do amazing work in communities across this country and the world, and we believe in lifting up and valuing that good work, and finding ways to support it where possible. We believe in constitutionally sound, evidence-based partnerships with faith-based and other non-profit organizations to serve those in need and advance our shared interests. There is no conflict between supporting faith-based institutions and respecting our Constitution, and a full commitment to both principles is essential for the continued flourishing of both faith and country.”
Date: September 1, 2012
To: Pro-life Activists
From: Lila Rose, President, Live Action
Re: Democrat Establishments’ Charlotte Abortion-palooza
As the Democratic Party establishment puts on an abortion-palooza at their convention in Charlotte next week, it is important that the prolife community speaks boldly and unequivocally about how out of step with women and numerous other constituencies the President and the Democratic leadership are when it comes to their taxpayer funding of abortion on demand policies.
The record is quite clear: President Obama is the most pro-abortion, anti-religion president in American history. Using our vast prolife network, from blogging to social media to earned media, I hope we can join our voices together to educate the public and the media about President Obama’s extremist obsession with abortion.
Given the Democratic establishment’s casting of its convention as largely one about abortion and their anti-religious freedom, anti-First Amendment, HHS mandate, the pro-life community has a golden opportunity this coming week to promote life and freedom. The Democratic establishment’s abortion- palooza features speeches by a Who’s Who of Big Abortion – including representatives of abortion profiteers and advocates Planned Parenthood and NARAL.
Additionally, the convention will feature politicians and Hollywood stars hostile to the prolife cause and religious freedom. Not to be featured: Prolife Democrats. Pro-life Democrats are being ostracized and if in attendance are to maybe be seen, but not heard. The message is clear, if you are a pro-life Democrat you are not welcome at this Democrat establishment abortion-palooza. Yes, the Party that spins diversity is telling pro-lifers that they have no business showing up in Charlotte.
This presents a unique opportunity for the pro-life, religious freedom community to come forward and educate the public about how extreme and obsessed the President and the Democratic Party establishment are when it comes to abortion. They are so obsessed on funding abortion, the President and Democratic leaders in Washington are even willing to undercut the founding principle of religious freedom to fund abortion.
The President’s obsession on abortion is well known in pro-life circles, but it’s a story many in the media refuse to report. Catholics, Evangelicals, Hispanics, Jews, African Americans and women need to know that they are mocked and not welcome by the President and the Washington Democratic establishment. We need to communicate that the ultimate act of social justice is the defense and human rights of the preborn.
Pro lifers should aggressively work to expose President Obama’s extremist abortion record:
• Obama arrived in the U.S. Senate just in time to denounce the Supreme Court’s ruling upholding the ban on pulling children half way out of the womb, and then killing them–also known as the brutal practice of partial-birth abortion.
• When fully developed babies were being left to die in hospitals after failed abortion attempts, Obama voted against the legislation that would protect them with life-saving care. In the Illinois legislature, Obama voted four times against the “Born-Alive Infants Protection Act.” The bill recognized babies born after attempted abortions as persons and required doctors to give them care. The federal version of the bill that Obama opposed in Illinois passed the U.S. Senate unanimously.
• He opposed a partial-birth abortion ban in Illinois, even as the federal version passed the House with 282 votes and the Senate with 64 votes and was signed into law by President Bush in 2003.
• In May, a bi-partisan majority of the House, including 20 Democrats, voted to ban abortions that target baby girls in the womb (sex-selective abortion). A White House spokeswoman expressed the President’s opposition to the baby-saving ban, saying: “The government should not intrude in medical decisions or private family matters in this way.” In other words, gender-based discrimination is OK—so long as it results in an abortion.
• In 2007, Obama announced to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund that his first act as president would be signing the Freedom of Choice Act. The act would enshrine in federal law a right to abortion more far-reaching than in Roe v. Wade and eliminate basically all federal and state-level restrictions on abortion.
• The President, in a down economy, is taxing American families to pay for abortions. Under his Administration government funding of abortion has reached historic levels. Obama has bypassed bans of public funding of abortion funneling more money to the abortion industry, mandated private business and religious institutions to pay for abortion services and aggressively funded international abortion programs.
After all, 50 percent of Americans now identify themselves as pro-life, according to Gallup, while those calling themselves pro-choice are at a historic low at 41 percent.
In another Gallup poll, 86 percent of Americans said abortion should be illegal in the third trimester. Meanwhile, an out-of-touch Democrat Party establishment supports abortion on demand through all nine months of pregnancy.
Social justice is a winning issue with many youth and religious Americans, and what more fundamental right to protect than the right to life for the most vulnerable?
Overwhelming majorities of Americans want basic restrictions on abortion and protections for pre-born children. They support a ban on the brutal practice of partial-birth abortion, a ban on sex-selective abortion that target baby girls, and a ban on abortion after the unborn child can feel pain. Americans also oppose taxpayer funding of abortion.
The contemporary Democratic Party has positioned itself as extremists on abortion – anywhere, for any reason – paid for by taxpayers. President Obama is in the pocket of Big Abortion and his record shows he is the most pro-abortion president in American history. It’s time for us to do the job the media simply won’t do – tell the American people the truth about Obama’s anti-life record on this fundamental human right.
Zo is grateful to the Democrats for making Republicans face their stance on abortion. Hear why on this ZoNation.
Reason’s Matt Welch explains the three major stories to be on the lookout for during the DNC convention in Charlotte, North Carolina:
1. What record is Obama going to be running on? Not only has the economy continued to plummet, but he’s failed to deliver on several key promises, such as closing Gitmo and winding down the wars.
2. Will the media expend the same amount of energy vetting facts put forth by members of the Obama administration as they did with the Paul Ryan speech?
3. What exactly do President Obama and Vice President Biden plan to do with a second term?
Barack Obama campaigned as a liberal in 2008, running against the Iraq War, promising to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay, pledging not to raid medical marijuana dispensaries operating within state law, and setting the goal of comprehensive immigration reform.
Contrary to the rhetoric of candidate Obama, President Obama has mired the U.S. military in Afghanistan, kept Gitmo open, stepped up federal medical marijuana raids, and deported immigrants at a faster rate than any president in history.
Reason TV talked to delegates in Charlotte the day before the 2012 Democratic National Convention to find out how they felt about Obama’s record on these issues and whether or not its still fair to consider him a liberal.
In Massachusetts, if you’re going to read one story on this race today take note of this piece in Politico reporting that top Democratic donors are backing Scott Brown. To the amazement of many in her party, Warren enters the fall home stretch against Republican Sen. Scott Brown behind in polls, trailing among independents and even failing to lock down her own party. The sharp-tongued consumer advocate and Harvard Law professor is struggling to connect with working-class swing voters, many of whom seem more comfortable with Brown and his middle-of-the-road, regular-guy persona. Her fierce criticism of Wall Street has sent some Democratic Bay State financial types scurrying into Brown’s camp, too….Bruce Percelay, a longtime Democratic donor and close friend of Sen. John Kerry, is making a rare trek across party lines to support Brown. Percelay plans to work for Kerry’s reelection in 2014 and has given tens of thousands of dollars to Reps. Ed Markey and Mike Capuano as well as the national Democratic Party. But earlier this year Percelay gave $3,250 to Brown. “Elizabeth Warren is not someone who I can comfortably wrap my arms around,” he said. “Not everyone is willing to express it, but [Brown] is the perfect Massachusetts Republican. He’s socially moderate and fiscally conservative and not a strong ideologue. People are very comfortable with that.” In an interview, he said he was unsettled by the controversy surrounding Warren’s claim to Cherokee heritage and her hot rhetoric on economic disparity.
- And the embattled Harvard Professor also finds herself under fire from fellow Democrats as Native American delegates to the DNC Convention in Charlotte demand a meeting with her this week – and as yet, Warren has refused to respond. The Boston Herald reports, Elizabeth Warren can’t escape her Cherokee heritage controversy even at this gathering of loyal Democrats, as a contingent of skeptical American Indian delegates – including the great-grandson of Geronimo – are inviting Warren to a meeting tomorrow to explain her ancestry claims. “I think she owes us that, she owes the Native American community here at least that,” said Stephen Lewis, a member of the Gila River Indian community….”If you’re going to claim that you are American Indian and a descendant of some Native nation then you have to represent,” said Sharon Stewart-Peregoy, a Montana state senator and member of the Crow Nation. “You have to step up and bring those (American Indian) issues forward. That’s what it’s all about.”
- Speaking of fellow Democrats not backing her campaign, the Herald also reports that Boston Mayor Tom Menino is still refusing to endorse Warren. Hub Mayor Thomas M. Menino had yet another wonderful opportunity to endorse Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren at this morning’s Greater Boston Labor Council breakfast, but Boston’s longest-serving boss demurred, instead focusing on the election in general and jabbing at national Republicans…So far, Menino has remained on the sidelines of the Bay State’s contentious and closely watched Senate race, which pits Warren against GOP Sen. Scott Brown. Despite Massachusetts’ blue-state leanings, Brown has managed to hold his own in polls.
- And driving all of this home, Warren’s problems with fellow Democrats was a topic of conversation on MSNBC’s Morning Joe this morning. Please watch below….
- Meanwhile, Scott Brown penned an op-ed for the Boston Herald where he reminds voters that he consistently reaches across the aisle to get things done in Washington. I was honored to be named by Congressional Quarterly as one of the most bipartisan senators in the country. Whatever else separates us, we’re all Americans first. During these challenging times, we need to work cooperatively to create jobs and get this economy moving again. Over and over again, I hear from voters they are tired of the shrill partisan voices in Washington that contribute to deadlock and dysfunction. My proudest moments as a senator have been those times when I stood with President Obama as he signs into law bipartisan legislation that I have sponsored. My goal is not to score political points but to get things done. My motto is a good idea is a good idea, regardless of whether it’s a Republican idea or a Democratic idea.
Well, put a fork in the 2012 election, it’s done…and Mitt Romney is the winner! Apparently Nicki Minaj has endorsed Mitt, at least I think she has, you be the judge.
On a surprising verse from Lil Wayne‘s Dedication 4 mixtape, Nicki Minaj rapped a line referencing Mitt Romney over Kanye West and G.O.O.D. Music‘s “Mercy” instrumental. During the verse Nicki Minaj reveals that she will vote for Mitt Romney in the upcoming election and says that she is a republican.
“I’m a republican voting for Mitt Romney, you lazy b*tches are f*cking up the economy”. -Nicki Minaj
Continue reading to listen to Nicki Minaj‘s Mitt Romney endorsing verse.
From the Wall Street Journal:
It’s a good thing nobody’s taking roll in Charlotte, N.C., this week. Many of the party’s moderates are playing hookie, supposedly in order to stay home and campaign. Sure. But who can really blame them for wanting to avoid being seen hobnobbing with the party’s liberal standard bearers?
Sens. Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Jon Tester of Montana and Joe Manchin of West Virginia top the absent list. All three are up for re-election in red states. Mr. Manchin has gone to marathon-lengths to distance himself from President Obama, even refusing to endorse him. Mr. Tester regularly trumpets his independence on the stump. And while Ms. McCaskill is now well-positioned to win re-election, she was considered one of the most vulnerable Democrats when she announced in June that she’d skip the party.
Also missing are Blue Dog Congressmen John Barrow of Georgia and Jim Matheson of Utah. Mr. Barrow, who’s the last remaining white Democratic congressman from the South, is in the fight of his political life thanks to an unfavorable redistricting. His campaign is even running ads boasting that he’s voted with Majority Leader Eric Cantor 54% of the time. Mr. Matheson, who was redistricted out of his seat, faces a formidable challenge from the black conservative phenom Mia Love, mayor of Saratoga Springs.
Pennsylvania Rep. Mark Critz, West Virginia Rep. Nick Rahall and New York Reps. Bill Owens and Kathy Hochul also won’t be seen or heard from in Charlotte. All of them represent districts that are high on the GOP’s target list of pick-ups. Heidi Heitkamp, who’s vying to replace retiring North Dakota Sen. Kent Conrad’s seat, is staying home as well.
What party poopers. Then again, the Democratic Party’s progressive base probably isn’t too disappointed by the no-shows.