*** URGENT LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT ***
IT’S TIME TO “LIGHT THE BURNERS” AND GET TO THE
BOTTOM OF THE BENGHAZI ATTACK.
by Lisa Piraneo, Director of Government Relations
Recently, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney noted this about the September 11, 2012, attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi: “Let’s be clear, Benghazi happened a long time ago.”
We concur. It happened a long time ago. But we still don’t have answers.
As much as Jay and others in Washington, DC, hope it will go away—the Benghazi issue is here to stay until those answers are provided.
Why? Because the American grassroots, led by ACT! for America, have kept this issue front and center. They have spent the last 8 months calling and visiting their federal legislators asking for a real investigation into the attack.
As you may know, earlier this year, Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) introduced H. Res. 36, legislation creating a select, short-term committee to investigate what happened in the Benghazi attack that killed four Americans including U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens. From the very beginning, ACT! for America’s grassroots have been instrumental in educating their federal legislators about this legislation and, further, in asking them to cosponsor it. In fact, we’ve been so effective that Rep. Wolf recently sent a personal letter to Brigitte Gabriel thanking our members for their efforts.
And a lot of legislators have listened, but others have not—including the Republican leadership in the House of Representatives.
Over the last few weeks, we have seen an incredible momentum in support of H. Res. 36—from the grassroots, the media, and Members of both the House and Senate. Click HERE to read a recent Wall Street Journal editorial endorsing Rep. Frank Wolf’s efforts to see a select committee on Benghazi convened in the House of Representatives.
The legislation now has the support of 146 cosponsors (click HERE to see if your Member of Congress is one of them).
However, House Speaker John Boehner still does not think the issue rises to the level of requiring a special investigative committee—even after the explosive revelations made during last week’s congressional hearing by heroic whistleblowers who risked both their careers and reputations in order to do the right thing (Click HERE to watch the riveting testimony during the hearing if you missed it).
After last week’s hearing, Rep. Wolf sent a letter to Speaker Boehner once again asking him to convene the Special Committee. In his letter he notes, “After eight months, we can’t wait for more time to pass. Questions would remain unanswered, procedures unchanged and accountability unrealized. That is until another attack occurs and another life is lost. And then, shame on us if we, who have been entrusted with public service, have done nothing to prevent it.”
We wholeheartedly agree. Enough is enough.
As Brigitte Gabriel says repetitively, “If our legislators don’t see the light, we must make them feel the heat.”
Well folks, it’s time to light the burners.
Today, we are asking you to call and e-mail YOUR member of the U.S. House of Representatives to register your strong support for H. Res. 36 and to ask that he/she personally ask House Leadership to bring H. Res. 36 up for a vote before the FULL HOUSE—THIS WEEK.
Let them know that it’s time the Benghazi attack receives the attention it deserves. At this juncture, doing anything else demonstrates continued weakness to our enemies.
The overall message is this: The Benghazi attack deserves the attention of a Special Committee and House Leadership needs to convene such a committee NOW.
Click HERE to locate contact information on your Member of the House of Representatives.
Please relay the following message respectfully, but firmly, and in your own words. In addition, please pass this request on to everyone you know.
[Sample Script. Please modify as appropriate for call or e-mail.]
As a constituent, I am [calling/writing] to ask that Congressman [insert name] immediately contact House Leadership demanding that H. Res. 36 be brought to the House floor for a vote THIS WEEK.
H. Res. 36, legislation introduced by Rep. Frank Wolf, creates a special, short-term committee to investigate the Benghazi attack on the U.S. consulate.
It has been more than eight months since the attack. The five individual committees of jurisdiction have had ample time to investigate. As the recent congressional Oversight hearing has shown, this issue is much too complicated to be split between multiple committees. It must be investigated by one Special Committee devoted solely to the Benghazi issue.
We hope you will do the right thing and relay this message to House Leadership today. The world is watching.
REMEMBER, YOUR VOICE COUNTS!
IF EACH OF US DOES JUST A LITTLE, TOGETHER WE CAN
ACCOMPLISH A LOT!
I wanted to make sure you heard about the story Catherine Herridge first broke Sunday night on Fox concerning the open letter 700 special operations veterans sent to every member of the House. Breitbart posted a good piece about it, too.
The Center has been intimately involved in this initiative and is proud to support it. Here are the main reasons why:
- Seven-hundred veterans of the military’s special operations forces have come together in support of H. Res. 36 sponsored by Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) and seventy-four other Members of Congress.
- This resolution would establish a select committee in the House of Representatives to ensure that the truth is finally established about the attack in Benghazi, Libya on September 11, 2012 that killed four Americans, including Amb. Chris Stevens.
- During their service to our country, these special operators trained, prepared for and, in many cases, executed missions to come to the aid of Americans in harm’s way.
- They lived by one of our military’s most sacred principles – that no comrade is left behind, ever.
- And they are determined to find out, among other things, why two of their comrades and two other Americans were allowed to die that night at the hands of jihadists without any effort made to help them.
- The SOF 700 letter was organized at the initiative of Lieutenant General William G. “Jerry” Boykin USA (Ret.) by Special Operations Speaks (SOS). This not-for-profit organization was established by special operation veterans in 2012 to illuminate the failed operational security environment of the Obama Administration and to restore accountability in government.
- These veterans have put their lives on the line for our country. The signers are determined to ensure than no one else needlessly loses theirs by establishing – and learning from – the lessons of the Benghazigate scandal.
- Citizens who wish to join in the SOF 700’s call for a real investigation of what led up to the murderous jihadist assault on two U.S. facilities in Benghazi, what occurred during that attack and the cover-up that ensued in its aftermath can do so by visiting www.EndtheCoverup.com. They can also find out more about the work of Special Operations Speaks and how they can help at www.SpecialOperationsSpeaks.com.
I hope you will help us drive attention and support to this effort. Meantime, many thanks for your help to our team!
Frank J. Gaffney Jr.
N. Korea puts artillery forces at top combat posture. Virginia governor approves photo ID requirement for voters. Congressman wants to telecommute. Congolese Warlord Makes First Appearance at Hague Court
Obama to designate five new national monuments. Obama Lays Out Case for Israel to Revive Peace Talks. Both Sides in Syria Want Inquiry on Chemical Arms. White House aide: ‘Grand bargain’ will be difficult
Syria and Activists Trade Accusations on Chemical Weapons. Passage Likely For Government-Wide Spending Bill. Cyprus seeks to alleviate pain from deposit raid. White House aide: ‘Grand bargain’ will be difficult
Rand Paul tries to pull GOP toward immigration reform. Passage Likely For Government-Wide Spending Bill. For Whom Does The Cyprus Bell Toll? Alas, All Of Us. Still hope for big fiscal deal with Obama, top Republicans say
Rand Paul tries to pull GOP toward immigration reform. The CPAC Follies Starring Sarah ‘Shecky’ Palin. Karl Rove Mocks Sarah Palin Tenure As Governor. John Boehner, Sen. Bob Corker Diverge On Tax Deal With President Obama
White House denies Syria rebels used chemical weapons. White House aide: ‘Grand bargain’ will be difficult. Relatives of slain girl invited to Easter Egg Roll. Justice Official Nominated to Top Labor Slot
Obama Nominates Justice Official to Top Labor Slot. John Boehner, Sen. Bob Corker Diverge On Tax Deal With President Obama
Boehner unswayed by Portman’s switch on gay marriage. Russian lawmaker not reassured by U.S. missile defense plan. Paul Ryan’s House Republican Budget vs. Patty Murray’s Senate Democrat Budget. Karl Rove Mocks Sarah Palin Tenure As Governor